The BIPOC Bike Adventure Grant* is Bikepacking Roots' new grant program created to help reduce the barriers to bike adventure for BIPOC individuals. This is a small step that we can take in light of the reality that racism creates inequitable access to outdoor experiences. This grant will provide funding for recipients to pursue an adventurous experience by bicycle. The adventure isn’t limited to bikepacking, as we recognize that there are numerous barriers to multi-day self-supported adventures that must be dismantled before considering bikepacking. These barriers include finances, equipment, confidence, backcountry experience, backcountry camping skills, physical access to bikepacking routes, and more. So we're not creating many constraints - the BIPOC Bike Adventure Grant will support recipients by helping fund a fun and empowering bike adventure. We’ll leave it up to grant applicants to define their own meaning of adventure.
*BIPOC is an acronym for Black, Indigenous, & People of Color; it recognizes that Black and Indigenous people in particular face the most entrenched injustices.
Synopsis of the program
- We will put out a call for applications in late July 2020 and share additional details at that time. A second round of applications will be accepted later in the year. Our goal is to continue with two application windows annually.
- Applications will be reviewed and grant recipients selected by a BIPOC committee.
- Awards can be used to help fund destination trips or for the recipient develop cycling- or camping-related skills through participating in skills clinics or workshops, attending the Bikepacking Roots Teton Rendezvous, or for tuition to a relevant program that helps build bike adventure experience, skills, & confidence.
- Awards may include some combination of gear, a gear stipend, and/or a travel stipend.
- Applicants will define what adventure means to them.
- 100% of contributions (after transaction fees) will go the grant program (awards to recipients and stipends to the volunteer review committee members)
Contribute to the BIPOC Bike Adventure Grant fund
Contribute today to help expand this grant program - this is one way that the cycling community can come together to create a positive impact. If "adventure by bike" resonates with you in any way, you recognize the value of these sorts of experiences. And if you've noticed the relative silence of the broader cycling and outdoor industry regarding racism and access to outdoor experiences, please encourage your favorite brands to step up and support this initiative (or other related causes! See below for the brands who have stepped up to support this). 100% of all donations (after any transaction fees) will go to the grant program, and donors will become free members of Bikepacking Roots.
Companies supporting the BIPOC Bike Adventure Grant and acknowledging that racism creates inequitable access to the outdoors
The following companies and organizations are donating to this grant program and are acknowledging that we as cycling and outdoor enthusiasts need to prioritize making adventure experiences, large and small, more accessible for the BIPOC community, and that each of us needs to be proactive about ending systemic racism. And this program is a but a very small step forward.